Sunday, July 16, 2006

Not Jaywalking

  • Aside from the physical danger and the psychological (the guilt of imposing undeserved guilt on the law-abiding driver who'd knock me over), I'm kept witing for the walk light by the sight of the traffic cops writing a ticket for a pedistrian across the street.
  • At crosswalks where there is no light, pedestrians have the right of way. I step off the curb and look both ways. The approaching car stops. The driver looks angry that I haven't just crossed briskly.
  • At the end of Ramban, at the five-street intersection where it changes its name to Agron at King George V, and King George changes to Keren HaYesod, with ben Maimon (HaRambam) slipping in at the top of Derekh Azza ( http://jerusalemblog.blogspot.com/2006/06/two-horses.html ) above Gahn Ahtsmaoot -- Independence Park ( http://jerusalemblog.blogspot.com/2006/07/fantastic-animals.html ), cars block the crosswalk when I have the walk light. I weave around taxis and buses with due caution. Otherwise I'd keep waiting, while the lights cycled, until rush hour’s end.

Copyright 2006 Jane S. Fox

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home