Sunday, January 11, 2009

Rain

The rain waited until I was settled in the flat I've taken for a month oh H.arlap -- gotten leben, salt, lemons, cucumbers, onions, garlic, olive oil, butter, a whole-wheat roll, and laundry detergent at the makolet across the street; walked to the shouk (changing money on King George St on the way) and found a bus back (roadwork has moved bus stops); and walked up to get frozen trout from the supermarket. Buying fresh fish on a Sunday seems iffy. In such a dry year I rejoice in the rain, which is not quite the same as enjoying it.

Renting a flat is always chancy. Our sunny apartment on ben Labrat in 2006-7 spoiled me. This one is much pokier but just as convenient and should do fine for a month. In 2008 I rented a flat on Aza for a month. Cheerier than this one, but we were burgled. Police said a previous tenant probably copied the supposedly uncopiable key. Landlord replaced the lock with one whose key was supposed to be harder yet to copy. Next year, when we expect to stay longer and so will have more with us, I plan to change the lock myself.

Friends email for inside info on the current war. All I know is what I read in the newspaper and hear on the radio. Since Ha'aretz, Yediot, Reshet Bet and Galei Tzahal are all available on the Web, that gives me no info I couldn't get anywhere with an Internet connection. I also eavesdrop on busses, but heard no one saying anything about the situation (ha-matzav) today.

Copyright 2009 Jane S. Fox

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home