Sunday, February 27, 2011

Abu Tor Tour

Saturday's Municipality walking tour was to Abu Tor, with an excellent guide who told me things I didn't know even about sights I'd often seen.

I learned that the Peel Commission (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peel_Commission ) met at the Palace Hotel, now being rebuilt inside the old facade.

Behind the King David Hotel we stopped at the 2000-year-old tombs which may have belonged to Herod's family. (The tomb of the best-known Herod was recently found at Herodion, out in the desert but visile on a clear day.

In Abu Tor I learned, among other things, that the large black rooftop water tanks are generally Arab. Water tanks on Jewish rooftops are generally slightly smaller and white or silver-metal colored. In Jersualem even water storage tells you something political.

Copyright 2012 Jane S. Fox

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home